Downloadable 2017 Events and Programs Schedule
Presque Isle Historical Society strives to fulfill its mission of promoting local history with a variety of public programs and activities, including but not limited to exhibits, publications, lectures, tours, maintenance and operation of the Vera Estey House and the historic fire station for housing and displaying historic materials, fundraising events, and various educational programs.
Currently, the Society has eight different types of tours:
- Fall Foliage Tours aboard Molly the Trolley
- These tours depart from the Historic Fire Station at 11 Church Street, Presque Isle and typically last 3 – 4 hours. The trolley transports tour-goers around the Presque Isle area including Easton, the Amish community, Fort Fairfield, Mars Hill and Mars Hill Mountain. Knowledgeable guides offer occasional county history while pointing out the splendid fall foliage sites – includes photo opportunities and a rest stop. Tickets $10.00 per person. Seats limited.
- Guided Tours of the 1875 Vera Estey House Museum
- Knowledgeable and entertaining guides lead tour-goers through this fascinating, but small two-story Victorian era house located at 16 Third Street, Presque Isle. Amazing artifacts! Sorry – not handicapped accessible and no public restrooms. $5.00 per person. On street parking is available. Space limited.
- Guided Walking Tours of Historic Downtown Presque Isle
- This free two-hour walking tour visits over 30 sites of local historic interest in a two-mile downtown area. Tour starts and ends in front of the 1875 Vera Estey House Museum. On street parking is available.
- Guided Walking Tours of Historic Fairmount Cemetery
- This one and a half hour tour covers the history and Victorian influences of the largest cemetery north of Bangor. Learn the history of those interred and find out who amongst important local historical figures are NOT interred within! Many hills! $5.00 per person with parking available across the street at the Chamber of Commerce.
- Haunted Lantern Tours
- These “slightly scary and kinda’ creepy true tales of downtown Presque Isle” help tour-goers get in the “spirit” of Halloween. Tours may be done on foot or in the heated trolley. This is the only time of year the public is allowed inside the historic jail! $5.00 per person.
- Historic Geo-Caching Tour
- These tours are self-guided. Please contact the Society for more information.
- Narrated City-Wide Historic Tours aboard Molly the Trolley
- The three-hour narrated tours aboard Molly the Trolley start and end at the Historic Fire Station at 11 Church Street, Presque Isle. Knowledgeable and entertaining guides provide non-stop narration of the over 40 historic sites showcasing Presque Isle’s direct ties to state, national and international history! Tours include photo opportunities and a rest stop. $5.00 per person. Seats limited.
- Self-Guided Walking Tours of Historic Downtown Presque Isle
The majority of the tours are offered on a recurring monthly basis during warmer months. Tours of the 1875 Vera Estey House Museum, Walking Tours of Historic Downtown, Walking Tours of Historic Fairmount Cemetery, and Narrated Tours aboard Molly the Trolley may also be scheduled for groups of five or more by appointment.
Presentations on topics of local historic interest are offered FREE to the public on a quarterly basis on the first Wednesday of March, June, September and December at 5:30 p.m. in the McCain Conference Rooms of The Aroostook Medical Center, 2nd floor, East annex, 140 Academy Street, Presque Isle. In addition to these scheduled presentations, the Society has over 50 presentations available to groups, schools, and other organizations at no charge that may be arranged by appointment. Many of these include hands-on artifacts and/or crafts that can be made and kept by attendees.